Oscar Goodale

 1194 berti

The Oscar Goodale house, prior to its demolition by the Town of Southampton, was located at 1194 Flanders Road., adjacent to the James Benjamin homestead and opposite the United Methodist Church, It was the former home of Oscar and Millie (Squires) Goodale and their son Oscar "Dwight" Goodale. Oscar was the great-great-grandson of Josiah Goodale who had built his home on some portion of this property prior to 1761. Josiah was the first of a long line of Flanders Goodale's and he has been credited with clearing the majority of the woodland that surrounded the early settlement. The members of the Goodale family who founded, and currently own Riverhead Building Supply are 5th and 6th generation direct descendants of Josiah. This property and the peninsula that is attached (known as Goodale's or Fifteen Mile Island) represented the demarcation line that separated the Southold and Southampton settlers in their 1667 dispute over ownership of the southern section of the "Akkobauk" lands.

Photo Credit:  G.Cobb