New Historic Roadside Marker
Commemorates Original Site of The Big Duck
The Flanders Village Historical Society on behalf of the Friends of The Big Duck was awarded a grant from the William G. Pomeroy Foundation for a historic roadside marker. The official unveiling took place on November 12, 2020. The bright blue and yellow marker is located just east of 1058 West Main Street, Riverhead, on the north side of the road in the state right of way. It commemorates pioneer duck rancher George Pugsley’s early twentieth century Pekin duck farm and the original site of The Big Duck (1931-1936), before The Big Duck was moved to Flanders.
Friends of The Big Duck President Neil Young stands proudly by the new historic marker.
The Bruno Duck Farm was the last duck farm on this site, where The Big Duck stood from 1931-1936.
The first home of The Big Duck was near this house in Riverhead.
There is still a brooder barn in the yard.